Monday, August 19, 2013

Take Me to the Fair

 




























 I made some boot belts out of an old leather purse that were supposed to look like corn. I feel like they don't really look that way but they sure look nice anyways.


When the rain started, we were part of the group made of sugar. Our view was the typical American fair with gobs of fat hanging off of every part of their body and the stench sweat surrounded us while we sat in the middle of the tent. Others were still outside, getting a jump start on being in line for all the rides.
When the rain finally stopped, the clouds started to part and you could see the crisp blue sky peaking through. 


 We played one of my favorite games at the Carnival. At the Greeley Stampede, we played the game and Grandma loves the same game so when she went, she gave us the green tokens. We didn't have enough to get anything interesting so we decided to save them until the Larimer County Fair. This time, we played and we cashed in these tokens for a miniature skeleton guy and a moose welcome sign.



 We went on the Ferris Wheel and I took all of these beautiful pictures of the carnival below.







 Funnel cakes! On the first night that we went to the fair, we got a regular funnel cake. The second time we went to the fair, we decided to get a funnel cake again but it was also the Red Velvet kind.



 Dad's yard is full of wildlife and almost every summer there are toads that frolic around the garden and hide in the dirt. I love to chase them around and take pictures of them.


 
A few days back, my dad sent me a picture of hand blown glass reindeer that I thought were at a garage sale. I turned them down because they looked like the typical hand blown ones that you can easily find. I have to be very picky with what I get now because I really don't want to have so much stuff that I drive myself crazy trying to navigate around them all. It turns out that these were not at a garage sale and they were in Dad's garage when he was going through all kinds of junk. I never even saw them in person until this lady asked me how much the ornaments were at the garage sale. I thought that they were all the new ones and not worth very much so I decided to tell the lady fifty cents each. These are the reindeer that they lady brought up to me. They are made of the thinnest glass you have ever seen. Plus, did I mention that they were made of MERCURY GLASS! For all who do not know, vintage ornaments are made of mercury glass which has a silver coloring on it. The bottom of these deer have sticker with "made in Germany" on it. I fell in love with these instantly and tried to talk the lady out of them. It was a no go. After the lady bought them, I ran over and discovered that she left two of the deer there!! One of them is broken but I grabbed them so fast and brought them into the house and put them in my curio cabinet. I looked them up later that night and found out that they were made in the 1920s and are worth like a hundred dollars each! That lady had to have known what they were.



 The garage sale started was originally to get rid of a lot of my possessions as well as a majority of my dad's possessions so that we could even consider moving to Texas in hopes of having more money to live. I ended up selling a lot of my items that I have saved from working at the theatre as well as just some of my collections over time. I ended up making seven hundred of the eleven hundred made during the garage sale. The picture below is of our little vignette that I set up to try and sell these items. This table is from the 1950s and it has a chrome lattice print around the edge. I have heard that this is rare because they are normally a chrome wavy edge. The chairs are my dads and they ended up selling. The people are made of cardboard and they are cut outs from a standee for Hotel Transylvania and they also ended up selling. The plates on the tables are green glad luncheon plates but they are still mine because no one decided to take them home.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Fun pictures Kass. Love he black and white mix with the color. Makes me want to go to the fair.

    ReplyDelete